Dr Xim Trinh, Vice Rector, National College for Education (NCE)
HundrED shortlisted this innovation
Why did you create this innovation?
Life skills education is considered important but just a voluntary subject in Vietnamese kindergarten. Teachers are not trained to teach it professionally. Meanwhile, they manage a large class and perform multiple compulsory tasks. No time left for researching and developing other needed educational activities! Kidskills is meant to support teachers and change this reality
How does your innovation work in practice?
Step 1: Kindergarten teachers and teacher students design life skills education materials by utilizing ICT tools.
Step 2: Instruct on how to deliver the life skills lessons.
Step 3: Share these materials on open platforms. We have over 100 videos to be shared to Vietnamese teachers, many of which have got 1000 shares! These resources were introduced first to three practice preschools in Hanoi, to the teacher community and to classes in Vietnam, Thailand, India and Sri Lanka. Also, deaf students can reach and learn from our materials.
So far, preschool teachers and teacher students love and contribute to our lively resources (poems, songs, dramas…). Children are eager to learn and play with our child-appropriate materials. Now, they know how to take care of themselves and handle emergency cases. Resources are converted into sharable digital form and accessible to all Vietnamese teachers and beyond. Our dream is: Every preschool teacher can reach and utilize our resources smartly.
How has it been spreading?
1. a website http://kidskills.edu.vn and https://dgcntt.gnomio.com/ to share the resources created
2. a youtube channel (which has 2000 subscribers, 100 videos; many of which have reached 22000 views) maintained
3. 600 resources for life skills education contributed
4. helped over 5000 students and teachers benefit from our resources
5. reached 63 municipalities all over Vietnam
6. a free webinar series opened on a biweekly basis nationwide for teachers to upgrade their ICT skills and knowledge on current hot topics: STEM education, EQ, etc.
7. several periodical offline training in ICT application in education for teachers in five areas of Vietnam (Hanoi, Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Thanh Hoa and Da Nang) and beyond.
If I want to try it, what should I do?
You are invited to download and use our resources for your teaching and professional development; to contribute your materials to our database and resources to share it on our website; to join our preschool network for the next connection activity; and to participate in our training courses for free to learn how to use ICT tools in your teaching and learning.