Common Sense Education
Interested in this innovation?
Great! Our mission is to help innovations spread.
Contact the innovator here:
Bookmark the ones you like!
You can bookmark all your favorite innovations to your profile.
Virtual Lab Practice, Real Lab Mastery
Grab your safety goggles and set out on a chemical-burning, liquid-stirring, camera-whirring competition in HoloLAB Champions.
In HoloLAB Champions, your students can work together to get through the game’s challenges or practice independently. Gameplay takes place at a virtual lab desk and uses a virtual lab notebook to guide students in the lab.
Use HoloLAB Champions to give your students a safe, fun space to practice their basic lab skills. In the HoloLAB, they can pour, scoop, spill, measure, break, weigh, and burn, all without making a mess and with the freedom to try again and again. HoloLAB Champions has state-of-the-art simulation of liquids and solid powders, enabling your students to really feel like they are pouring into beakers or scooping powders into weigh boats. The HoloLAB provides feedback to students on the accuracy of their measurements, their attention to detail in lab procedures, and their ability to avoid spilling and breaking in the virtual lab.
We created HoloLAB Champions as a way for players to engage playfully with chemistry lab equipment in virtual reality. Our primary goals were to:
- Encourage players to see themselves as someone who DOES belong in a lab and who could be successful in a lab-related career
- Give players “hands-on” exposure and experience working with lab equipment in a space where they can safely try, fail, and play
There are a variety of ways you can incorporate HoloLAB Champions into your classroom, including:
- As a stand-alone single-player game for students to play on their own
- As a small-group work station
- As a collaborative whole-class experience