Interested in this innovation?
Great! Our mission is to help innovations spread.
Contact the innovator here:
Bookmark the ones you like!
You can bookmark all your favorite innovations to your profile.
Week for the Rights of Youth
What do we do and why do we do it?
What is the Week for the Rights of Youth?
It is an initiative that began in 2007 in Argentina, promoted by Fundación SES. Encourages participation, social organization and commitment of young people in the transformation of the world.
Each edition of the Week is based on:
- Voices that are heard and that come from different parts of Argentina, with different realities, that can say the same things but in different ways.
- Happiness, in the encounter with others in the diversity of ideas and experiences.
- Conviction, we find ourselves with the certainty that a better world is possible.
- Enthusiasm generated by the collective. To leave the local, recharge and return to the territory.
- Fun in new knowledge, in new experience.
- De-Construction, question what is already established. To be able to discuss and rethink ideas. Ideas that can be transformed.
Who promoted it? How is coordination organized?
Fundación SES is the creator and promoter of the Week.
The methodology of co-creation and articulation generates commitment and sustainability of the proposal. That is why the General Coordination of the Week in each country is made up of organizations capable of mobilizing the proposal, youth participation and the necessary resources. This modality facilitates the creation of knowledge and its possibility of being replicated over time.
Since its inception in Argentina, there are more than 80 social organizations that participate alongside a similar number of schools and non-formal educational spaces. It was accompanied by companies and more than 20 organisms and public establishments at national, provincial and municipal levels.
How is the Week prepared?
At least 3 months before the Meeting, slogans are sent in advance so that the youth, the organizations and schools have time to work on the content and propose ideas. Activities, meetings and festivals are organized in order to reach the national meeting of 4-day youth prepared activity.
What happens during the Week?
During the week there are many opportunities generating the participation and deepening of the following topics:
- Workshops on topics of interest to young people such as problems pertaining drug use, gender identification, environmental care, caring sexuality, violence, teen dating violence, parenthood, education rights, diversity, etc. These workshops can be coordinated by the youth while accompanied by adults. Popular education methodologies are used from both artistic and communication languages
- Artistic presentations play on the results of the workshops
- Dialogues with social referents, entrepreneurs and policy makers
Through all these activities, the "Week for the Rights of Youth", seeks to provide tools for young people to prepare for their to face the world and train as young leaders who can give a voice to the future for their generation.
What happens at the end of the Week?
Young people return to their places of origin and share the products of the Week: videos, songs, documents that facilitate the continuity of reflection
The productions and themes are disseminated in social networks and mass media so that the youth agenda has the possibility of incidence
What is its impact?
-24,000 young people have already participated
-7 countries have replicated their methodology with the technical assistance of Fundación SES
-Young people have formed their own organizations and / or coordinate innovative spaces
"Jóvenes solidarios". Mar del Plata , Provincia de Buenos Aires -Argentina
"Apdena ". Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires -Argentina
"Multipolar". Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires - Argentina
"MAES " - Argentina
M.E.T.A. Juvenil. Movimiento Estamos Tod@s en Acción -Latinoamérica