Interested in this innovation?
Great! Our mission is to help innovations spread.
Contact the innovator here:
Bookmark the ones you like!
You can bookmark all your favorite innovations to your profile.
Curious kids have more fun.
John Tan, Founder of Saturday Kids and Obama Leader
Saturday Kids’ mission is to inspire every child to be a curious, self-directed learner. It’s an impossible mission, because we’re not going to reach every child - but it’s aspirational, and it encapsulates how quality education can be made accessible to children. Teaching and learning are two sides of the same coin. Quality education is not just about better teachers; it’s also about the desire and ability to learn.
We cannot teach kids everything there is to know. But what we can do is bring out the curiosity in kids, encourage them to look at problems and think "I can figure this out myself".
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.
Based in Singapore and Tokyo, Japan, our work's taken us on adventures including:
- Code in the Community - Singapore's largest free multi-level coding programme for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Project Empower - introducing teenage girls to the possibilities of Artificial Intelligence
- Coding Cats - an early-state digital literacy pilot to run free coding classes for 100 kids and teenagers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, supported by USAID and ground partners Raintree Cambodia
- Code Meets World - a yearlong programme where kids learn to apply code to explore and communicate big ideas via web-based technologies
- Saturdayland - bilingual STEAM workshops where kids build worlds of understanding and possibility through coding and English as a second language (ESL)