Press Start Academy is a groundbreaking after-school education concept where all learning takes place via play and games.
Our programs are designed using gamification and game-based learning concepts, focusing on academic outcomes and assessment while in a compelling, hands-on and engaging game environment.
We approach learning through play and games from four different levels:
- Adapting existing off-the-shelf educational games, or wrapping non-educational games in educational contexts, focusing on thematic topics (e.g. history, economics) and soft skills (e.g. creative writing, strategy);
- Developing customized game experiences to meet educational objectives in specific environments (e.g. curriculum design in partnership with schools and educational institutions);
- Creating "meta-game" environments where learners' achievements and progress are reflected and tracked in a bigger game, designed to incentivize positive learning habits; and
- Posing game design challenges to students, where they apply systems thinking and design thinking approaches to make sense of and teach a particular subject.
We deliver our innovative programs in three different ways:
- After-school learning programs direct to students at our center in Central, Hong Kong;
- Enrichment, after-school, extracurricular and holiday programs in partnership with schools; and
- Professional development and teacher training workshops designed to equip educators with awareness, knowledge and skills in gamification, learning through play and game-based program design.
Press Start Academy is the next chapter in the continued evolution of Press Start Hong Kong, a games consultancy with a vision to change the world through play, and to unlock the unique potential of play and games as a platform for education, innovation and inspiration.