Lucian Ngeze, Founder of MwalimuHub, Tanzania
HundrED shortlisted this innovation
Why did you create this innovation?
Many teachers in developing countries don't get a chance to make it to the professional development programme organized by their governments. However, there is a need to help teachers improve their teaching practices. MwalimuHub decided to help teachers in many ways to go with the 21st century teaching practices by offering face to face training and online courses accesses via mobile devices.
How does your innovation work in practice?
MwalimuHub works in two ways:
1) Providing teacher training on face to face mode where we meet teachers in a school or training centre and train them on specific and relevant areas to the 21st century teaching pedagogies
2) Developing and offering online courses to teachers: Today, over 90% of teachers possess smartphones. This means that they can be able to access online content and resources from where they are at their own convenience. Using educational technology tools can help develop themselves professionally. MwalimuHub thought of helping teachers in this direction.
3) Providing support to teachers: The support is in terms of responding to their questions about the use of technology in teaching and learning. We have regular discussions that keep running on our Facebook page and Whatsapp and Telegram groups.
During Covid-19, MwalimuHub developed an Online Course named "Teacher Professional Development for Remote Teaching that helped many teachers to engage students at home.
How has it been spreading?
Achievement in the past 2 years
1) Creation of two more courses that helped a number of teachers to be trained in the use of technology in teaching and learning.
2) Collaboration with school teachers to create content for other teachers. Co-creation has been one of the most important activity that teachers show how they can be able to transfer what they have been able to learn.
3) Teachers from different African teachers: WE have been able to provide service to teachers from different African countries such as Uganda, Kenya, Ghana, Rwanda, to mention a few.
Goals for the next 2-3 years
1) Collaborate with teachers from different countries to create more online courses.
2) Reach more teachers in Africa.
3) Train teachers on more technology tools to help improve their teaching practices.
If I want to try it, what should I do?
To adopt this solution:
>We can offer Course setup file (Moodle package) of all the courses to those interested parties so that they can upload them into their Learning management systems and be ready to use.
>We can provide online training (support) to those who may want to extend our work to other countries.
name: Lucian Ngeze