Interested in this innovation?
Great! Our mission is to help innovations spread.
Contact the innovator here:
Bookmark the ones you like!
You can bookmark all your favorite innovations to your profile.
Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants
Inspiring the Next Generation of Scientists and Explorers
Joe Grabowski - Founder, National Geographic Explorer, Science Teacher
We knock down classroom walls and take students anywhere in the world, never having to leave their desks.
Exploring By The Seat Of Your Pants aims to inspire the next generation of scientists, explorers, and conservationists. We do this by bringing science, exploration, adventure and conservation into classrooms everywhere through virtual guest speakers and field trips with leading experts across the globe. Since starting in September 2015 we've connected hundreds of thousands of students to scientists and explorers in over 70 countries. Best part of all, it is and always will be 100% free for classrooms!
There's this silly rumour going around that there's nothing left to explore or discover, this couldn't be further from the truth! New technology is opening up countless opportunities in the fields of science and exploration. We believe these experiences inspire students while exposing them to important and challenging issues, amazing places, exciting role models and new career paths.
Students won't remember every math or language lesson, but they will remember the time they were hanging out in a penguin colony in Antarctica or chatting with someone who just rowed across an ocean.
- Each month during the school year we host 30-40 live events for classrooms.
- We regularly host events around our ocean, space exploration, biodiversity, freshwater, endangered species, conservation, women in science an exploration and much more!
- We send textbook-sized satellite BGAN units around the world with scientists and explorers so they can video broadcast live into classrooms from the most remote regions of the planet. From the tops of volcanoes to the bottom of the ocean, from rainforests to Antarctica and even 2km underground. There's very few places we can't bring classrooms!
- Follow and connect with exciting expeditions before, during and upon completion.
- We're launching our Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants Ambassador program to help teachers develop as leaders within their school board by training them to run regional divisions of Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants.
- We're slowly growing Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) to reach classrooms in the United Kingdom, European Union and Africa. Each month we'll be hosting a series of events, the number of which will increase as the community grows!