Over 60% of marginalized children in India lack access to safe play areas thus affecting their overall physical, cognitive & socio-emotional development. This accounts for 200 million children who are deprived of a childhood. Ecologically, about 275 tons of tyres are discarded in India every day of which only 7% are recycled. The remaining large percentage are either burnt or dumped in landfills.
We build upcycled playgrounds using scrap tyres, metal drums and locally available materials that are designed to enable holistic development for underprivileged children. Our unique factors include
1. User Centric designs that cater to development of different skills while at play.
2. A sustainable approach by using upcycled materials like tyres, metal drums, and sourcing local labour and materials to reduce our carbon footprint and encourage a circular economy.
3. Community Engagement during construction to build ownership of the playscape. We also facilitate employee & volunteer engagement programs.
4. Scalable DIY designs that can be installed in 5-7 days across Indian geographies.
A playground enables the physical, social and emotional well-being of a child. Anthill playscapes have been directly attributed for greater classroom performance, improved attendance rates and reduced violent behavior, in testimonies given by teachers and stakeholders involved in our projects.
Over the past 6 years, we have built over 375 playgrounds across 22 states in India, impacting over 200,000 children. In the next two years, we wish to build 500 playgrounds with the focus on aspirational districts and make play accessible to the most remote parts of India. Some of our achievements include -
1. 2023 - Children’s Champion Award 2023 in the sports Category by the Delhi Commission for the Protection of Child’s Rights (India)
2. 2022 - FICCI Smart Urban Innovation Awards, Jury Mention under Smart Infrastructure Category
3. 2021 - Won Ramath Rath, a national competition organized by the city council of Vadodara (Gujarat, India) and Bernard van leer foundation to create “playground on wheels”
4. 2018 - Won Social Business Champ awarded by Nobel Laureate Prof Mohd Yunus
We are happy to guide communities or individuals in setting up their own playground by providing them the required design and technical guidance. Our website holds our contact details and our team of play experts will help you plan out the project from design to execution or we can also undertake the project from end to end.