Learning to read without a book is a sad reality for many people in Sub-Saharan Africa. Books are essential to opening opportunities in a person’s life, including education, employment, health and participation in society. There are over 250 African million children with no access to books. Inspired to helping my mother, a children’s book writer, cope with blindness.
Books are essential to opening other opportunities in a person’s life, including education, employment, health and participation in society.
AkooBooks Audio is a digital streaming audio platform for African audiobooks and spoken word, providing engaging Black/African books that reach new audiences on mobile devices.
Our service will lead to
1) Improved reading and learning outcomes for all learners through mobile devices
2) More visibility and revenue for African Authors and Publishers through digital distribution.
3) Job Creation. Within five years, we aim to be the largest single employer of African voice talent in West Africa outside the theatre and film industry.
The AkooBooks Platform was launched in Nov 2019 and is hosted on AWS. (internet & mobile apps)
● Over 50 new licenses with African Content Partners incl. African Publishers on the continent, BBC Radio, Ghana Library Authorities.
● Catalogue size over 250+ quality African audiobooks/programnes
● AkooBooks Audio launched a partnership with the MTN /Ayoba super app March 28 2022 to grow awareness of audiobooks and build a community and have 4,500 subscribers already.
● AkooBooks Audio launched a partnership with CENDLOS (The Centre for National Distance Learning and Open Schooling) to bring African audiobooks to Ghanaian classrooms.
AkooBooks are available on the internet at https://app.akoobooks.net via our internet app.
Akooboks app for mobile phones are also
available at http://bit.ly/akoobooks (Apple) and
Readers can sample audiobooks and listen before purchasing and downloading.