Interested in this innovation?
Great! Our mission is to help innovations spread.
Contact the innovator here:
Bookmark the ones you like!
You can bookmark all your favorite innovations to your profile.
Active School Day
Active School Day
Anna Oksanen, Teacher of Jyränkö school
Active School Day -model is a comprehensive, innovative and goal-oriented operating model to make school days more physically active. The model is strongly based on the operating model developed at Jyränkö school. The way to work has won first prize in European commission's #BeActive Education Award 2018 and in Finland Health Act of the year 2019.
The aim of Active School Day –model is to make it possible for all pupils to be physically active for an hour during each school day. With consistent work it is possible to increase the amount of the physical, mental and social well-being of the whole school community and at the same time promote learning.
Active School Day -model is simply and well thought. The different parts of the model are easy to break down into smaller parts and adopt either as a whole or in suitable parts in another school and country. Each part requires a lot of bold and innovative experiments.
In a nutshell, the Active School Day -model includes the following parts:
- Continuous planning, development and assessment of activities
- Development of break-time activities
- Encouragement of pupil participation
- Development of teaching practices and lessons
- Development of the operating environment
- Active way to school
- Physical education
- Club activities and cooperation with sport clubs
- Campaigns and event days
- Development of exercise facilities and operating environment
- Promotion of staff participation and welfare
Making the school day more active belongs to all. It affects all pupils and staff. The activities do not rely on individual, separate measures only. Participation of pupils is a key element. You can see opportunities and challenges instead of obstacles.
By making school days more physically active and mobile, it is possible to achieve very important results in addition to health benefits.
- Better school atmosphere
- Less bullying in the school
- Rising social inclusion, especially multicultural schools
- Pupils are more alert and say they can concentrate better during lessons. This has a direct impact on learning results.
- Pupils feel they have opportunities to participate and take part in decision-making at school and there is a community feel.
- Pupils have less psychosomatic symptoms.
The operating model has received international attention and recognition. Instead of big financial resources, the model requires a holistic approach and thinking, and can be modelled to be used as a whole or in suitable parts in any school and country. According to studies our work has been very successful. We have succeeded in increasing pupils’ activity during school day significantly. We have also achieved very important results in mental and social well-being addition to physical health benefits.