Liliana Vázquez, Head of SEL Programs
Fundación Colegio del Sol
HundrED shortlisted this innovation
Why did you create this innovation?
Many years ago, a deep need that went beyond curriculum learning was spotted in our school community. It became necessary to come up with tools for a whole learning experience from an emotional wellbeing perspective to allow children to further develop their subjectivity, self-knowledge, and self-regulation skills. We turned to SEL in order to foster a whole and balanced child development.
How does your innovation work in practice?
1) Through SEL WORKSHOPS on a weekly basis as part of the school’s curricula for kids from 3 to 12 years old.
2) By means of fostering AWARENESS of the relevance of SEL in our community.
3) Our pedagogical approach to INTERDISCIPLINARY LEARNING allows us to intertwine skills and concepts acquired in the SEL Workshops to the learning experience of other disciplinary areas of the curriculum.
4) We set into motion plenty of high impact PBL (Project Based Learning) activities where socioemotional skills are deliberately required for the projects to be carried out.
5) TEACHER DEVELOPMENT. We constantly train teachers and all of the school staff in SEL on the basis of their four core concepts (self-knowledge, emotions regulation, empathy, the art of relationships). We believe that skills and affective attitude of teachers and staff play a central role in children’s learning process. The teaching profession requires a great deal of emotional commitment.
6) FAMILY SEL WORKSHOPS: We create opportunities for family counseling and training in SEL to further develop socioemotional skills at home.
How has it been spreading?
Since 2007 evidence of SEL program’s success is being gathered. Our students graduate with a solid preparation to face learning and social challenges. For the past few years, our SEL workshops and techniques have been highly valued by families, students, and professionals in the fields of education and mental health.
For the next few years, our goal is to add pedagogical components related to philosophical thinking skills to our SEL programs and create teacher development programs on a national basis.
If I want to try it, what should I do?
Get in touch with us so you can receive orientation and assistance in the implementation of our SEL learning programs in your own educational context. They are easily scalable. Our Project Manager, Liliana Vazquez, leads a team of professionals who specialize in psychology, learning psychology, education management and pedagogy.