Inspired by the work done by several organizations in the crowdmapping space, such as Safecity, Safetipin, Harassmap and CrisisMaps, the rainbow project is a similar idea, except for LGBTQIA people (inclusive of trans and non-binary individuals).
This is a crowdmap that curates stories from LGBTQIA (inclusive of trans and non-binary people) who have faced:
- Offline, physical / verbal violence faced on the basis of gender identity
- Ddisregard for dysphoria by medical professionals / care providers
- Online violence
- Hate crimes against those among the community who work as activists / human rights defenders
- Abuse on account of laws criminalizing sexual and gender identities and orientation
- Violence from medical professionals
- Harassment from government officials / law enforcement
- Harassment from public service providers
- Bullying from peers in office spaces and schools and colleges
- Violence / exclusion using religion as a basis
While on the personal plane, these narratives are about their stories and them taking control of their narratives, the bigger picture goes beyond the stories - and paints the statistics that the world is not aware of.