the rainbow project
Kirthi Jayakumar, CEO and Founder of The Red Elephant Foundation
Inspired by the work done by several organizations in the crowdmapping space, such as Safecity, Safetipin, Harassmap and CrisisMaps, the rainbow project is a similar idea, except for LGBTQIA people (inclusive of trans and non-binary individuals).
This is a crowdmap that curates stories from LGBTQIA (inclusive of trans and non-binary people) who have faced:
- Offline, physical / verbal violence faced on the basis of gender identity
- Ddisregard for dysphoria by medical professionals / care providers
- Online violence
- Hate crimes against those among the community who work as activists / human rights defenders
- Abuse on account of laws criminalizing sexual and gender identities and orientation
- Violence from medical professionals
- Harassment from government officials / law enforcement
- Harassment from public service providers
- Bullying from peers in office spaces and schools and colleges
- Violence / exclusion using religion as a basis
While on the personal plane, these narratives are about their stories and them taking control of their narratives, the bigger picture goes beyond the stories - and paints the statistics that the world is not aware of.