Minneapolis, United States
Nathan facilitates conversations with learners around the globe as a Senior Learning Designer at Fielding International, a school design firm based in the United States.
Nathan is a professional dot connector - seeking patterns that weave through histories and societies to understand the emergence of learner-centered empowerment paradigm for education. He is married and has two young daughter and lives in Minnesota in the United States of America.Why do you want to be a part of the HundrED Community?
Education transformation is accelerated when light is shown on innovation. HundrED is a global leader in this approach to innovation, so I look to help support, spread, and scale this transformation for the urgent needs of our time.How can education support students to flourish?
Design a system of education that is agile and adaptable to build on the strengths and meet the needs of all people who enter its domain - youth and adults alike.What role does innovation play in education change?
It is an essential element of education change. History shows time and time again how antiquated systems are disrupted and ultimately transformed. To an unacceptable degree, education around the globe resides in the ethos of the first industrial revolution. While the world changes rapidly, far too many young people are told to sit, listen, and be compliant. We need a world of doers and disrupters to solve the challenges of the 21st century and beyond. This requires a different mindset - an innovators mindset - embedded in the fabric of our educational frameworks.Three HundrED innovations you love. (and Why?)
1) Design for Change - It embeds learning through play with an authentic aim at social impact
2) Liger Leadership Academy - It has a living vision that informs everything they do: create leaders for Cambodia!
3) Whole City as Learning Environment - because the sooner the world is seen as the classroom of 21st century schools, the sooner we have radically transformed our education system.Three innovations you would love for HundrED to know about. (and Why?)
1) State of Education: a locally-sourced movement in Minnesota to bring together a mix of cross-sector participants (including youth) to create actions around education transformation.
2) Education Reimagined learner-centered paradigm: A powerful vision with attached lexicon describing five pillars of learner-centered paradigm, along with a cohesive three-pronged theory of action to actualized it.
3) Transcend Education's Yellow Hats League: A dynamic community of United States educational innovators using Slack to share ideas and build capacity for radical transformation.