Green Hat Workshop
GREEN HAT WORKSHOP promote activities and products which inspire and empower Creative Minds. Inspired by a constructivist philosophy, Green Hat Workshop believe in a life of playful experimentation and engagement with the elements of our world. We are dedicated to providing workshops and products that foster lifelong learning and creatively inspire all ages.
Green Hat Workshop believe in a life of playful experimentation and engagement with the elements of our world. We are dedicated to identifying appropriate resources and play opportunities within educational settings and in providing workshops and products that foster lifelong learning and creatively inspire all ages.
Our core values are influenced by educational philosophers, academics, communicators, entrepreneurs, principals, colleagues - progressive thinkers both historical and contemporary.
- That Children come to us with knowledge,
- 'The Readiness Principal' - humans self-realize and cannot be compelled to learn.
- That children want to learn and are naturally hard wired to do so.
- That all behavior has meaning and that no child wants to do the wrong thing.
- That the goal of the teacher is to become obsolete.
- Life is not subject specific.
Our workshops and products reflect these beliefs with the following characteristics:
- Abundance. This enables every participant to develop a personal relationship with whatever concepts the resource inspire.
- Play. An emphasis on open-ended, self-directed play allows participants maximum personal engagement and deeper learning with as few closed or competitive outcomes as possible.
- Anarchy. As few rules and instructions as possible. The task should engage learners on its own merits.
- Impermanence. Creates a willingness to experiment and make mistakes, take creative chances and explore. Increases resilience.
- Physical. Does not rely on verbal or written communication.
- Lo-fi. The most basic component pieces emphasise accessibility to all learners and encourage participation in all abilities.
At Green Hat Workshop we ensure we can cater for up to 100 participants at once in order to safeguard that our workshops are not 'adult lead' and that these characteristics are present in every workshop we provide.
We select incursions which, while accessible to all schools, are often a challenge to justify within age-level and subject specific school budget structures. ie. the experience and learning that can be achieved through the use of 1,000 PLANKS among a group of 10 students during a 20 minute mathematics rotation, is very different to the experience of a whole year level building over an extended period, with 25,000.