Student and passionate about education.
My name is Carolina and I’m passionate about education. I’ve been a student my whole life so far, and I’ve experienced first-hand the power of education in every person’s life. I’m currently studying a B.A. Degree in Pedagogy at UCM (Madrid). I love philosophy, arts, humanities and how they all merge into education in many different ways. Still, I see how they disappear in our school’s curriculums to almost extinction… and I feel that I have to do something about it, WE can’t lose what makes us humans. I believe that when many small people, in many small places, do many small things, they can alter the face of the world.Why do you want to be a part of the HundrED Community?
Every society should take special care of their children’s education, and as societies are made of individuals, we all have our responsibility toward it. However, sometimes people and governments don’t always have education among their priorities, and if they do, young population’s voices are silenced or not even taken in account. The HundrED Youth Academy is an opportunity for us to see education from a wider perspective and have the chance to learn and also to be heard and recognized.How can education support students to flourish?
Education should be:
- international, with no barriers nor borders;
- inclusive, welcoming everyone, regardless of their culture, background or disability;
- based on the ‘inner self’ and making everyone flourish;
What role does innovation play in education change?
The world evolves faster and faster, and so should education do. It's inconceivable that we still have educative systems from the Industrial Revolution which want to cast everyone in the same mould. Information moves high-speed world wide and we are all interconnected, so innovation plays an important role when it comes to redesign and transform our pedagogic realities.Three HundrED innovations you love. (and Why?)
- Democratic Kindergartens. It's essential to make children responsible of their acts since they are little... and what a better way to make future active global citizens than this?
- Design for Change. I've been using this method for two years in high-school and I feel it has been effective to find useful solutions to problems and creating sharing environments.
- Five Areas of Development. 'It's a holistic approach to learning that strives to break down the silos in education and ensure the development of a learner in all areas, rather than merely cerebral. Through this process, we hope to inspire our learners to amplify the use of emerging new intelligence to augment human intelligence rather than replacing them.'
- Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) is an evidence-based approach pioneered by Pratham, that moulds classroom instruction to a child’s learning level. The crux of the approach is grouping children according to their learning levels, focusing on foundational reading and mathematics skills, and targeting instruction to a child’s current level.