Amitav Nath comes with 15 years of experience in education planning and policy, program management, research and evaluation design. He has worked in a variety of settings which include NUEPA, IGNOU and C-DAC, all respected Government institutions in India. Amitav is a Gold Medalist in Social Work from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, and was a student of M.Phil. at the Delhi School of Social Work. His articles have been published in variety of journals and magazines.
Amitav has led the design and implementation of the Anandshala school initiative in Bihar and Jharkhand from its inception and now leads a team of 20 individuals working across 996 schools in Bihar and 400 Schools in Jharkhand. Beside this Amitav advocates and maintains relationships with the Bihar state government and has been instrumental in forging strong linkages with the state education program. He has been making Anandshala presence in National and International forums.ork. His articles have been published in variety of journals and magazines.Why do you want to be a part of the HundrED Community?
I want to be part of HundrEd Community to understand and learn from other innovations happening across the globe in education space. This will also give an opportunity to share the learnings from our innovation and incorporate suggestions and feedback to make it more impactful and scalable .How can education support students to flourish?
For the past two decades, children’s access to basic education has been the major focus of national and international education development efforts. However, as more children enroll in school, but fail to complete the full cycle of basic education, school dropout has been recognized as a major educational challenge both in developed and developing countries. Often dropout is looked as an outcome but we see this as a process which leads to many other social issues such as unemployment or under-employment, entry into the informal labour market, vicious circle of poverty, low self-belief and self-esteem and finally non- contributor to the country economy. Quality education to All can address many other social issues and challenges in society. Today's investment make better tomorrow..What role does innovation play in education change?
With the changing scenario, the problem has become more complex now. While looking at future, we need to find solution which is integrated and sustained. The innovation creates the space to think creatively and find out a simpler solution for the complex issues. These solutions are more contextualized and user centric which can be adapted easily in the community and scaled further. The same applies to the education space as well to address the issue of inequity and discrimination in imparting the quality education to all. Hence more simpler and sustained solution can be scaled with deeper impact.Three HundrED innovations you love. (and Why?)
1. Design for Change: It helps to understand how students identify and develop localised solution, which is very relevant in the context of Anandshala
2.Lead Change in Your School Culture: This innovation allows you to understand the structures of leadership at your school and shift from a traditional power structure into a collaborative school culture.. Changing the school culture is not so easy as it is so deep rooted with cultural context. So this will help to understand how we can contextualise in the context of Rural India
3. The SEISEI Program for Developing Creative Thinking: This programme helps in understanding the issue more deeper into the world of the 21st century. How by developing the creativity in students, as well as their ability to adapt to changes, to work in unfamiliar environments, to be resourceful and to persist in problem solving.
All the three innovations has a strong association with the student parliament innovations under Anandshala.
Three innovations you would love for HundrED to know about. (and Why?)
1. Educate Girl: How volunteers can help in addressing the challenges around girl's education in rural India
2. i- saksham: How local tutors capacity in rural areas can be build using technology to address the employment opportunities for youth as well as improving the quality education
3. Aflatoon: Student : How social and Financial Education is aimed at helping young people think critically, learn about rights and responsibilities, and gain financial knowledge and skills that will enable them to achieve their dreams.